Codfish with cream (Bacalhau Com Natas)
Image credit: www.saborintenso.com
. 4 pieces of desalted cod
. 1,4 kg of potatoes cut in chunks
. 1,5 dl of olive oil
. 2 onions finely cut in a half moon shape
. 3 garlics, chopped
. 3 bay leaves
. 4 dl the heavy cream
. 1 tbs of butter
. 1 cup of milk
. 1 egg yolk
. Coarse salt
1. In a pan with boiling water, cook the cod for 10 minutes.
2. After it is done cooking, remove it from the water and let it cool down. Don’t throw the water away.
2. Place the potatoes to cook inside the pan with the water used to cook the cod.
3. Once the cod cools down, remove any skin and bones it may have and then start shredding with your hands.
4. When the potatoes are done cooking, mash them.
5. Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
6. Transfer the mashed potato to a pan.
7. If needed, add more salt to it.
8. Turn the stove on to low heat and add the butter, milk and nutmeg. Mix them well.
9. In another pan, pour the olive oil, onions, the chopped garlic and bay leaves and saute without burning.
10. Grab the egg yolk and add it to the mashed potato. Mix them together.
11. Add one tablespoon of the heavy cream.
12. If you have a magic wand, use it to mix the mashed potato in order to make it more creamy.
13. Leave the mashed potato in the heat for another 2 minutes or so.
14. As soon as the onions are sauteed, add the cod.
15. Season it with chill and nutmeg.
16. Then add roughly about 1/3 of the heavy cream to it and mix well.
17. Cook it for another two minutes.
18. Grease the cooking tray lightly.
19. Pour the cod and then the mashed potato on top.
20. Use the rest of the heavy cream to pour on top of the dish.
21. Take it to the oven to cook for another 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Didn't really like this version of it. Maybe it was the mashed potato. Normally, I cut the potatoes in circular shapes and once they are cooked I don't mash them, but rather mix it with the cod and onions. I do this carefully so the potatoes do not break. I also sprinkle chopped parsley to the mixture before placing it in the tray. Also, I use about 4 to 5 boiled eggs, cut in circles, which I place on the tray, on top of the potato and cod mixture as well as a few olives. Then I pour the heavy cream on top. And some times, when I feel like heaving a bit extra fat(lol), some shredded cheese on top before taking it to the oven. But there are different ways into tackling this famous Portuguese dish and making more of it your own style and taste.